Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hip Horns

 

 
♥HIP HORNS



I painted them blue and filled in the cracks
I love taking old disgraced horns and bedazzling them. My father, an avid hunter, is horrified at what I do to them. I grew up with horns on the wall. I live in the Midwest, It is hard not to go to a local rural bar and not find heads of animals and horns on the wall. I never really felt good around them. when I first found a pair of horns at the junk yard I felt so bad, they smelled of mold and were in very bad shape. This deer lost its life for this trophy that someone now threw away. I spent a lot of time with that first set of horns.
since then I look for horns at yard sales and in the trash. I love giving them a new life an purpose. I like to put the feminine spin on them to be honest. They are traditionally so masculine and associated with much machoism . My horns are prefect for a girls room where she can use them to hang her necklaces , scarfs or hats.

I have been wanting to take a pair of horns and completely fill them with jewels. I did, with the help of my daughter. We did not randomly put them on but took our time and I think it paid off. It was very time consuming but really quite realizing  at the same time.

I could not resit putting on the ruffle lace. I think that it gives it the appearance  of a regal queen !

before lace,glitter  and  royal lace ruffles are added

One of my tables in my studio, I thought it looked very kitsch at the moment so I took this shot, since then several of these items have been incorporated int my work

Growing up in the Midwest, like so many,I was exposed to a lot of deer hunting. I could not bear to see my father bring home the animals, cut them up, skin them and then was forced to consume them at the dinner table. My poor mother tried in vain to make my fathers proud animal kill palatable. I hated it. Horns and animal heads, hides, furs, feet and shells adorned our home. I grew slowly immune to the initial horror of the heads and horns as part of my decor. I really dislike hunting as a whole.

From funkyfindzonline
Vintage Funky deer horn hat rack-orange by recyled artist Catherine Reinke
zoom
Vintage Funky deer horn hat rack-orange by recyled artist Catherine Reinke Vintage Funky deer horn hat rack-orange by recyled artist Catherine Reinke
Funky Orange Horns

The wood base is painted midnight blue with heavy glitter, outside is lined with orange cotton eyelet lace. The horns are painted orange with yellow highlights.. The base mount is gold with a strip of faux leopard fur. This is an unusual set of horns, on one pair it is a single horn while the other has three. I love making these, as a child of a deer hunter ,I lived all my life with various taxidermy on the wall. This horn was rescued from a dump. It required a lot of cleaning and preparation but was worth it. This was designed for a young girls bedroom or for the home that is decorated boldly. My Funky Horns are prefect for hanging jewelry, hats or scarf’s. It is my belief that by taking these old deer horns, I honor the life they gave by giving them a use. A hole has been drilled on top for hanging on wall.

                                           From funkyfindzonline
Recycled  vintage deer horns hat rack by  C. Reinke
zoom
Recycled  vintage deer horns hat rack by  C. Reinke Recycled  vintage deer horns hat rack by  C. Reinke
altered vintage deer rack is Funky Winter Green.

Recycled  vintage deer horns hat rack by  C. ReinkeThe wood base is painted brilliant green with heavy glitter, outside is lined with nylon lace ruffle trim. The outer most edge of the wood base has candy pink glass bead trim. The base mount is painted pink with sequin adornment. This is a symmetrical four prong rack of horns. They are painted white with pink tips. This horn was rescued from a flea market. It required a lot of cleaning and preparation but was worth it. This was designed for a young girls bedroom or for the home that is decorated boldly. My Funky Horns are prefect for hanging jewelry, hats or scarf’s. It is my belief that by taking these old deer horns, I honor the life they gave by giving them a use. A hole has been drilled on top for hanging on wall.

When I first found a small rack in a garbage dump... I was aghast! I felt additional pity for this poor animal , who gave its life largely for its horns, so they could be proudly mounted as a display of ones manhood .( Pure speculation , but there is an awful lot of pride in ones size of rack! humm? ) They were moldy , smelly and basically a shambles. I retrieved them from the junk pile (a favorite destination site of mine) and began to paint them, I loved recovering the center piece and added frilly bobbles. Needless to say when my father, or any man who values the sport of hunting saw them , he was irritated at best.


Recycled  vintage deer horns hat rack by  C. ReinkeIt soon began a another recycling passion of mine. I like to take these smaller racks that I find in the trash and revamp them with a feminine twist. I give them function. they can hang in any little girls room as a fun accent piece and be used as either a hat rack or they are great for hanging your favorite necklaces on. They are kitsch funky and functional .


I am attempting to honor the life of the animal by taking these discarded horn racks (they are using pathetically sadly small) and recreating them into HIP HORNS. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do making them


                               
                               From funkyfindzonline
recycled deer anterers by C. Reinke AFrican night shaman
zoom
recycled deer anterers by C. Reinke AFrican night shaman recycled deer anterers by C. Reinke AFrican night shaman recycled deer anterers by C. Reinke AFrican night shaman
dated 1978, these deer antlers have been given new magic life. Created with the thoughts of full dark and mystic moons of the African shaman this is my newest work. I love him. It is the first time that I have taken the antlers and given them a face, I cant wait to do another.

I used hand made silk screen papers from India,high quality acrylic paints,glitter, vintage buttons and lots of sunshine.

I suggest using these horns for hat racks or to hang your jewelry. I grew up with horns, daughter of a hunter. I don't like hunting at all, but love to rescue old beat up mounted horns and make them funky and fun.









No comments:

Post a Comment